7.16.2011

Did we forget Normandy?

I am not sure how I forgot to blog about my favorite place in Europe... Normandy, France. Though we have had the pictures posted for quite some time, I need to fill you in on details. To do so, I have divided each stop out so you can get a good feel for the our entire trip as seen below.

1st Stop: Etratat Cliffs, France
Etratat is one of the most beautiful places in the world. It is a very popular tourist destination as 3 natural arches and a needle have been formed in the cliffs. The views are breath-taking and well worth the uphill, tiring walk required.

2nd Stop: Honfleur, France
Honfleur came highly recommended to us as a romantic port town worthy of a night's stay. The town is basically built around a port with the landscape gradually developing up the surrounding hills. Jamie and I randomly found a place to stay, which will be our hotel of choice for all future travels in France. It was a loft-style bed and breakfast. Perfect!

3rd Stop: American Cemetary
What an emotional place. At 30 years old, I passed so many graves of brave soldiers that never made it to my age, though I am still quite young. Knowing that my grandfather fought in WW2, entering France through the beaches of Normandy himself, I knew that many of these graves could have been his friends. Jamie and I walked around for quite a while admiring the scenery, as well as honoring the fallen soldiers.  The cemetary overlooks the ocean, a peaceful setting for our heroes.

4th Stop: Omaha Beach
Omaha Beach stretches 5 miles and is most known for the place where American soldiers entered France on D-Day. Jamie and I spent time walking the beach as well as visiting a war museum. It is so surreal to stand in the very place where so many of our American soldiers were killed fighting for the country. It is even more surreal to walk the beaches that my grandfather once fought on. The French locals still find war memorabilia in the beaches today.

5th Stop: Point Du Hoc
All of Normandy offers spectacular views and rich history. However, if there is one place I would recommend, it is Point Du Hoc. As with most 30 year old males, my view of World War Two is strongly influenced by the film Saving Private Ryan. Point Du Hoc is the very place where the opening scene in SPR is filmed. The bunkers and bullet holes from D-Day are still at Point Du Hoc today. It is truly an amazing place.

6th Stop: Mont St. Michel
Jamie and I decided to leave the war scene and head further southwest to Mont St. Michel, which is a tidal island with a population of under 50 people that is the home of the St. Michel monastary. The island is a big hill, with the temple sitting at the very top. We enjoyed breathtaking views from the very top, but we were unfortunate that a tidal wave did not come in during our visit. Maybe next time.

After Mont St. Michel, Jamie and I headed back East to Brussels. We had such an amazing time in Northern France. The history, food and scenes are truly unique!

















No comments:

Post a Comment