10.16.2011

New Bike for Year Two

After a year of huffin' and puffin' down the streets of Belgium on a cheap mountain, I realized there were advantages to skinny tires and cargo racks. As a result, I decided to upgrade from my "Huffy" equivalent to
a fully loaded city bike.

As I have mentioned many times before, bikes are like cars. A large percentage of the population uses a bike to get around daily. These bikers are not allowed on the sidewalks so to ride a bike, you must learn how to navigate the Belgium streets. No problem for me, as I have learned how to use my bike bell and use it quite frequently.

The best part of getting a new bike was the wheels as they make city driving a million times easier. With 28" wheels and skinnier tires, I can cruise along the Belgium streets like a native. Additionally, I am quite fond of the cargo rack which allows me to carry a great deal of stuff. Prior to getting this bike, I was carrying 20 lb. dog food bags on my shoulder while riding the bike back to my house. I know it sounds like a "walked 3 miles in the snow" kind of story, but it is a much harder task than you could imagine. Nonetheless, I can now use my handy bungie ties and bike rack to strap the dog food in.

Just yesterday, I went to the grocery and loaded up on goods. I was cooking dinner for myself and Johnny and I was out of everything. No worries, because I have a new bike. As you see in the picture below, I was able to get a great deal of groceries on the back of the bike. To be exact, the sack is full of Fanta, Sparkling water, Flat Water, 12 pack of Coke Light, 4 filets of Tuna, Olive Oil, Milk, Ice Cream, Cookies, Pasta, Parmasean Cheese and bread. That's a lot of cargo.

As of now, I am nicknaming my bike "The Silver Bullet," but I am open to new names. Let me know if you have any.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment